Welcome from our Program Director
Thank you for your interest in our Sunrise Health Graduate Medical Education Consortium Anesthesiology Residency program. We are an ACGME accredited four-year categorical program; located in the city of Las Vegas, part of HCA Healthcare’s Graduate Medical Education (GME) enterprise.
About our program
HCA Healthcare is one of the nation’s leading healthcare providers, a community of 185 hospitals and approximately 2,000 sites of care, including surgery centers, freestanding ERs, urgent care centers and physician clinics. HCA Healthcare's Graduate Medical Education (GME) has become the largest provider of resident training in the United States, with the stated goal of training superior, patient-centered physicians of the future.
Our main training site is MountainView Hospital. As a member of the Sunrise Health GME Consortium, residents also train at Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center and Sunrise Children’s Hospital, Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center, and Southern Nevada VA Health System. Our program has also partnered with a pain specialist clinic, providing access to a wide variety of medical conditions and treatments associated with pain.
MountainView Hospital Medical Center is a state-of-art facility, with a 3-star cardiothoracic and vascular surgery program, spine surgery and a minimally invasive robotic surgery center. It is also a destination location for advanced trans-catheter based minimally invasive therapy for a wide variety of cardiac diseases. The hospital has a freestanding GME facility, with an auditorium, lecture rooms, call rooms and a resident lounge equipped with a kitchen.
Sunrise Hospital is a busy, inner-city trauma center, with more than 30 operating rooms. It is also known as a provider of heroic and exceptional care during recent tragic events. The adjacent Sunrise Children’s Hospital provides care from general surgery to complex pediatric cardiac surgical procedures.
Our faculty members are fellowship-trained experts in areas of obstetric anesthesiology, pain management, neuro-anesthesia, pediatric anesthesiology, and both adult and pediatric cardiothoracic anesthesiology. Our goal is to graduate competent anesthesiologists through exceptional training and education, who will be pillars of any community, both as valued professionals and caring human beings.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Get to Know the Team
John Halling, MD Program Director
Allopathic and osteopathic applicants must successfully complete USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1 before an interview offer can be made. Successful passing of both Step 2 CK and 2 CS or COMLEX Level 2CE and Level 2PE is a requirement before an employment contract will be offered. All exams must be passed on the first attempt.
- No more than two years can have elapsed since any formal training.
- Applicants must meet the requirements for a restricted license for residency in the State of Nevada. View them on the Nevada board of medical examiners website
- LORs – Our program requires three letters of recommendation. A letter of recommendation from the Anesthesiology Department Chair or Site Director is strongly recommended.
- U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident.
- We require an acceptable explanation of any break in education (if applicable).
Applications will only be accepted through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) from the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges) and participate in the NRMP (National Resident Match Program).
- Applications open on September 15th each year.
- After review of applications, invitations to interview will be sent to qualified applicants through ERAS along with scheduling instructions.
- The Anesthesiology Residency Program will interview approximately 80 applicants for 8 PGY-1 positions. They are typically scheduled Wednesday afternoons during the months of November, December and January.
- All scheduled interviewees will also be invited to attend a meet and greet event where they can speak with current residents and ask questions.
Medical Student Rotations
Sunrise Health Graduate Medical Education Consortium provides medical students with opportunities to work closely with residents and faculty.
Curriculum & Rotation Schedule
Our expertly crafted programs are designed to provide resident physicians with all the experiences and training necessary for professional success.
AY 20‐21 Resident/Fellow Salary